Homegrown and high-end, Design Indaba Expo is an exhibition of the finest in South African design. Here are seventeen reasons you should attend the event at the Cape Town International Convention Centre, 23 – 25 February 2007.
- The 2007 event will be the biggest ever, with 67 brand new exhibitors who have never shown at the expo before.
- Many designers will be launching their new ranges and products at the expo.
- There will be an inward buying mission of 10 international buyers, supported by the Department of Trade and Industry (dti), who will buy SA product for export.
- There will be an even greater presence of the new generation of talented BEE and PDI designers, supported by the dti.
- A linger-longer Design Indaba Expo Birds CafÃ©, presented by award-winning designer Frauke Stegman of the original Birds CafÃ© in Cape Town.
- A new fashion concept where conventional ramp shows will make way for models who will combine their display skills with dance, theatre, installations, live feeds and music. Fashion performances will take place all day, every day.
- All-day South African music videos and short films on the big screen â€“ in between the fashion showings.
- Design Awards and talks for the public on the floor.
- Live demos of DIY projects.
- A series of motor vehicles will be â€œwrappedâ€? in prize-winning graphic designs, with the graphics being printed out on big machines and applied to the cars right on the expo floor.
- The unveiling of the Art Vespa competition winners.
- The opportunity to design your own t-shirt and then have it made in minutes, before your very eyes.
- The worldâ€™s largest wire-and-bead sculpture will be on the floor.
- A Design Route across Cape Town, affiliated to the Design Indaba.
- Interactive design and art projects that invite participation from visitors.
- A hands-on, educational opportunity for learners, through the Woolworths My School campaign.
- An evocative environment custom-designed by Scan Display Solutions, a leading SA exhibitions company. This floor design is exclusive to the Design Indaba Expo.